Skip to main content

2019 Reflections & Resolutions for the New Year

As the year comes to a close, I think it's important to reflect not only on our goals for the upcoming year, but to look back on our achievements in the last. While not everyone may believe in the idea of the new year's "resolutions," I've personally found them to be a great tracking tool. Not only do they inspire me to try new things and seek out new potential growth opportunities, but they help me look back on the areas in which I've improved. These areas I might not have even realized, if it weren't for the annual ritual of reflection and planning.


At the beginning of 2019 I set out to connect the dots; my word of the year being "connect." My intention was to assess every new aspiration I had started in my previous year of "fulfillment" and find a way to sustain these new passions of mine by creating a schedule that would establish a sense of order between the seemingly random ventures I had begun. My word of the year also doubled as a goal to put myself out there in the writing community and make new friends.

This year held a lot of firsts for me. Looking back now, I have to admit that I'm a little daunted by all of the new experiences and people I was able to connect with:
  1. I attended my first writing conference. This was a goal years in the making and I finally worked up the courage. If you're interested to hear more about it, check out my recap video or my tips on how to prep for your first conference
  2. I joined a local writer's group. This one kind of went hand-in-hand with the conference, to tell you the truth. Once I made the decision to attend my first conference, I decided a great way to ease into the prospect of walking into a giant writing event solo was to first try walking into a smaller writing event. Several months of attending an hour-long meet up with a roomful of local writers helped build my confidence to attend a multi-day conference with dozens of authors and industry experts from across the country, including literary agents. Which brings me to...
  3. I pitched literary agents for the first time. This was perhaps the most heart-pounding moment of 2019, but the experience was so incredibly invaluable. If you're interesting in hearing how the pitches went, you can catch the story in that same recap video
  4. I found my first critique partner. If you don't already have one, I can't recommend a CP highly enough. Not only was the experience of sharing my work with a stranger a growing opportunity in and of itself, but my critique partner was able to catch things in  my writing that had become invisible to me after several drafts. If you're on the hunt for a CP and haven't had any luck, try the hashtag #cpmatch on Twitter, hosted by Megan Lally. She has more information on her website
  5. I participated in National Novel Writing Month. For years I've been anxious to see if writing a novel in just 30 days was something I was even capable of doing and the experience did not disappoint. If you're curious to see how it all played out, I have a YouTube series and playlist dedicated my NaNoWriMo journey. 
  6. I co-hosted a live write-in. Participating in a live writing session with a couple of awesome authors on YouTube was yet another new experience for me. While the concept of being live on camera has always slightly terrified me, I decided that it was a great way to round out my year of firsts. And bonus, it was fun! 
It's safe to say that 2019 advanced my writing career tremendously, I believe, thanks to setting a few simple but profound intentions at the start of the year. While I've yet to come up with my "word of the year," I wanted to share a few of my writing and personal resolutions for 2020:
  • Attend a writer's retreat
  • Host a live stream
  • Start a project I've had on the back burner for awhile (more on this soon!)
  • Edit my NaNoWriMo novel
  • Query agents
  • Start a newsletter
  • Dust off my French (listening comprehension and speaking)
  • Run a 5K
  • Read all of the unread books that I own
  • Learn to play piano from sheet music 
***
What are your goals for the new year? Do you believe in resolutions or reflecting on your achievements in the past year? 

If you liked this post, you may also enjoy:

Comments

  1. Excellent list of noteworthy suggestions for resolutions! I'm adding several to my plans...and I especially like the one about making new writer friends. New writer friends are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#AuthorToolBoxBlogHop 15 Critical Questions to Ask Your Beta Readers

Happy blog hop day, everyone! I hope that your writing has been both fun and inspired. While I missed last month's hop, I have been in the thick of what will (hopefully) be my final round of revisions before querying my current novel. Hooray! In case you missed my video recapping my first beta reader experience , my novel has undergone a couple of major changes these past few months due to the feedback I received. It was an incredible learning opportunity for me. I truly believe that, thanks to my beta readers, I was able to resolve issues that would almost certainly have come back to bite me during the querying process. Whether I was saved from agent rejections remains to be seen, however, through this process I learned things about my writing and this story specifically, that I would not have otherwise. And for this reason, I highly recommend reaching out to beta readers before considering querying agents. That being said, I wanted to gather my thoughts into a post that co

#Authortoolboxbloghop Create More Time to Write in 2020: 20+ Ideas to Reclaim Your Schedule

The new year is officially here and like many, I have committed myself to several new goals I want to accomplish in my life and writing career. And while I think goal-setting is admirable, setting achievable goals with a specific, direct path to success is even better. The link between time-management and writing might not be an obvious one, however I find that so often it is the obstacles in my daily personal life that prevent me from advancing in my writing. There have been many lessons I've learned in the past few years that have helped me take control over my schedule and carve out time not only for writing, but related activities that have propelled my writing to the next level. I've compiled a list of time-saving ideas that can reduce time spent on the mundane activities of everyday life. Hopefully some of these will inspire some changes to help you master your schedule this year and spend more time on what you love. Photo by Samantha Gades on Unsplash Simp

July #AuthorToolBoxBlogHop: Writing My First Spec Script for Television

Happy blog hop day everyone and thank you so much for stopping by mine. By the time you're reading this, we will be well into the month of July and I will have officially begun my Camp NaNoWriMo project. I'm writing this post at the end of June while preparing my plan of attack over the next 31 days in which I plan to write my first ever spec script for television. If you're not familiar with Camp NaNoWriMo, you can check out this blog post where I go into more detail. In essence, it's a month where writers worldwide dedicate themselves to a particular project of their choosing. But personally, I like to think of it as a giant pause button. NaNoWriMo and Camp NaNoWriMo have become my sole excuse to put down my novel with its seemingly endless revisions and pause for a month to focus on something new. Somehow doing so under the established framework of NaNoWriMo is easier for me than simply picking a random month of my own choosing, which I know I would never do if