Skip to main content

5 totally awkward situations you'll only understand if you are new to the work place

Let's face it: we grew up in a different era than our parents. While they were paving the way for the release of the first computer we were learning how to use the cell phone (and it had actually gotten smaller than the size of a brick). So it's not surprising that when entering the work place a few common practices left us scratching our heads.

1. Not knowing how to use a fax machine. Wait, wait wait. So you're telling me I have to use a phone number and this giant machine to send a receipt to the customer? While I'm fumbling with this thing that's beeping at me I could've scanned it five times or better yet sent the digital copy to the customer via a little thing we "Millennials" call the good ol' email.


2. Preferring email or text over actual voice-to-voice phone conversation. You mean I have to actually call him to ask him to email me the invoice?


We are so terrified of voice-to-voice interaction though I'm not sure we even fully understand it.

3. When you're the only one who can format a PowerPoint slide and become the go-to for "deleting" a picture or "moving the logo down." Your older coworkers look at you like you've just animated a feature film.


4. You dread being asked to "drive" the sales meeting, meaning you sit behind a computer and click the slides forward all the while trying to decipher whether the manager's pause means she has finished talking.


Nope. She wasn't. Go back.

5. Not knowing how to operate an intercom and continually forgetting to dial 9 to "get out." What does this even mean??


Did I miss anything? What awkward situations have you experienced when you were new to the work place?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July #AuthorToolBoxBlogHop: Writing My First Spec Script for Television

Happy blog hop day everyone and thank you so much for stopping by mine. By the time you're reading this, we will be well into the month of July and I will have officially begun my Camp NaNoWriMo project. I'm writing this post at the end of June while preparing my plan of attack over the next 31 days in which I plan to write my first ever spec script for television. If you're not familiar with Camp NaNoWriMo, you can check out this blog post where I go into more detail. In essence, it's a month where writers worldwide dedicate themselves to a particular project of their choosing. But personally, I like to think of it as a giant pause button. NaNoWriMo and Camp NaNoWriMo have become my sole excuse to put down my novel with its seemingly endless revisions and pause for a month to focus on something new. Somehow doing so under the established framework of NaNoWriMo is easier for me than simply picking a random month of my own choosing, which I know I would never do if...

#AuthorToolBoxBlogHop New Favorite Writing Resources - Setting, Word Choice, Revision (oh my!)

Happy June, Writers! This month has been huge for me in the way of craft. In the midst of my revision, I decided to take some dedicated time to focus on a few of my weaker areas in terms of craft. These were areas I had identified during my read-through or areas in which I simply lacked confidence. I decided for this month's blog hop to share my list of resources that have been helping me these past couple of months with the hope that they will prove useful to some other writers out there. #1 Setting The Rural Setting Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman & Becca Puglish ( click for Amazon page ) The Urban Setting Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman & Becca Puglish ( click for Amazon page ) What's so great about them: Written in incredible detail, these two books showcase a vast majority of possible setting locations throughout your novel. It pinpoints the exact sights, smells, sounds, tastes, textures, sources of potential conflict, and more. Le...

#AuthorToolBoxBlogHop: How to Prep for Your First Writer's Conference

I recently attended my very first writer's conference and let me tell you, it was a decision years in the making. For so long I had entertained the idea. I'd heard such great stories from other writers about how much there is to learn and all of the great connections one can make. Still, whenever it came time to purchase a ticket, I always held myself back. If you are anything like me, an introvert with socially anxious tendencies, then the idea of a writer's conference probably sends a chill down your spine. Socializing with a large group of strangers, participating in discussions, and generally putting yourself,  not to mention your work , out there can be intimidating. However, over the years I've found that preparation is an excellent coping strategy for such nerves and will ultimately ensure a much more positive and productive experience. It was through my preparation that I ended up having the BEST time. Talking to agents, participating in sessions, and making s...