Skip to main content

The Ruthless Writer

"Be ruthless about protecting writing days, i.e., do not cave in to endless requests to have "essential" and "long overdue" meetings on those days. The funny thing is that, although writing has been my actual job for several years now, I still seem to have to fight for time in which to do it. Some people do not seem to grasp that I still have to sit down in peace and write the books, apparently believing that they pop up like mushrooms without my connivance. I must therefore guard the time allotted to writing as a Hungarian Horntail guards its firstborn egg." - J.K. Rowling

Amazing quote by J.K. Rowling which hits the nail right on the head. It seems whether you write full time or not, one can never seem to get enough hours to actually sit down and put fingers to keyboard.

As for myself, I work a full time job and write on certain nights and weekends. I am always saying to myself where does the time go?

I've recently started using a pretty strict schedule, mapping out windows of time for certain tasks. As we all know, writing isn't just writing, it's a ton of other things as well like networking with peers, doing your research and staying current on social media. 

The problem with my schedule is that it seems someone (family member, friend or colleague) always seems to request the block of my time that just so happens to be designated to the actual writing. 

So what do you do?

You can either be "ruthless" as Ms. Rowling puts it or you can be flexible. I've tried the ruthless technique, which to be honest is hit or miss. I feel as though I always end up damaging a relationship of some kind. However if I am too flexible, I end up losing that writing time altogether since I can't slack off on other tasks to catch up.

I am reminded of a quote by Steven King in which he says that a writers desk should always be placed in the corner of the room, letting his life take center stage. I'm paraphrasing, but I believe his point was that as writers we have to make time for life.

So I'll be honest and say that I'm not really clear where the line is: when to be ruthless versus when to take a chill pill and let a little "life" in.

Does anyone have an answer to this? Are you ruthless with your writing time or do you take the more flexible approach? Does it depend on who is asking?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July #AuthorToolBoxBlogHop: Writing My First Spec Script for Television

Happy blog hop day everyone and thank you so much for stopping by mine. By the time you're reading this, we will be well into the month of July and I will have officially begun my Camp NaNoWriMo project. I'm writing this post at the end of June while preparing my plan of attack over the next 31 days in which I plan to write my first ever spec script for television. If you're not familiar with Camp NaNoWriMo, you can check out this blog post where I go into more detail. In essence, it's a month where writers worldwide dedicate themselves to a particular project of their choosing. But personally, I like to think of it as a giant pause button. NaNoWriMo and Camp NaNoWriMo have become my sole excuse to put down my novel with its seemingly endless revisions and pause for a month to focus on something new. Somehow doing so under the established framework of NaNoWriMo is easier for me than simply picking a random month of my own choosing, which I know I would never do if...

#AuthorToolBoxBlogHop New Favorite Writing Resources - Setting, Word Choice, Revision (oh my!)

Happy June, Writers! This month has been huge for me in the way of craft. In the midst of my revision, I decided to take some dedicated time to focus on a few of my weaker areas in terms of craft. These were areas I had identified during my read-through or areas in which I simply lacked confidence. I decided for this month's blog hop to share my list of resources that have been helping me these past couple of months with the hope that they will prove useful to some other writers out there. #1 Setting The Rural Setting Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman & Becca Puglish ( click for Amazon page ) The Urban Setting Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman & Becca Puglish ( click for Amazon page ) What's so great about them: Written in incredible detail, these two books showcase a vast majority of possible setting locations throughout your novel. It pinpoints the exact sights, smells, sounds, tastes, textures, sources of potential conflict, and more. Le...

#AuthorToolBoxBlogHop: How to Prep for Your First Writer's Conference

I recently attended my very first writer's conference and let me tell you, it was a decision years in the making. For so long I had entertained the idea. I'd heard such great stories from other writers about how much there is to learn and all of the great connections one can make. Still, whenever it came time to purchase a ticket, I always held myself back. If you are anything like me, an introvert with socially anxious tendencies, then the idea of a writer's conference probably sends a chill down your spine. Socializing with a large group of strangers, participating in discussions, and generally putting yourself,  not to mention your work , out there can be intimidating. However, over the years I've found that preparation is an excellent coping strategy for such nerves and will ultimately ensure a much more positive and productive experience. It was through my preparation that I ended up having the BEST time. Talking to agents, participating in sessions, and making s...