Skip to main content

How I accidentally wrote a new adult novel

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I've only recently discovered the emerging literary genre of new adult fiction. I'm more embarrassed to admit that I've accidentally written one.

What is new adult, you ask? Let me go back a couple of years ago to a fiction writing class I'd had in college. We had each just begun outlining our novels and I had grappled with the idea of a protagonist in her later teens just on the cusp of adulthood. Could I do this? Since young adult fiction had been (and still is) so wildly popular to all ages, I knew just how many stories were out there about young girls in high school. But a girl entering college? No one was doing this.

Would anyone want to read my story about a girl trying to "figure things out" in the adult world? Would younger audiences relate to her? I didn't think an older demographic would fit my story, but there didn't seem to be an in between.

I'll have to change her age, I thought to myself. Set the story in high school. Still, I felt that I was betraying my creative instincts. After all, everyone tells you to write the story you want to read and I wanted to read about this girl just beginning college. This was what I knew, and what I felt inspired to write.

It was around that time that I realized how many of my friends were reading YA novels. I thought, surely if my friends 18-22 were reading YA novels then why wouldn't they appreciate stories that centered around someone going through some of the same things they were? So I decided to follow my gut and write about a young dancer beginning her freshman year at the Juilliard School of Dance and her best friend who's struggling to find her dream career.

Believe me, in no way was I thinking I'd be starting a new literary genre. On the contrary, I was going in circles trying to figure out a way to sell this story once it was done. Would I promote it as YA or would it be women's literature? How could I find my niche in those ginormous markets?

Fast forward 3 or 4 years later and imagine my surprise when I learn that while I was muddling through my fifty-some revisions, a new genre has popped up out of the wood work: a genre highlighting those in-betweeners, the ones that have left their adolescence behind but not yet fully embraced adult status.

Sarah at cleareyesfullshelves.com has a great couple of podcasts in which she goes more into detail on the characteristics of the trend. You can listen to them here. 

So that's how I accidentally wrote an NA novel. I just wish I could say I thought of it first... ;)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#Authortoolboxbloghop Create More Time to Write in 2020: 20+ Ideas to Reclaim Your Schedule

The new year is officially here and like many, I have committed myself to several new goals I want to accomplish in my life and writing career. And while I think goal-setting is admirable, setting achievable goals with a specific, direct path to success is even better. The link between time-management and writing might not be an obvious one, however I find that so often it is the obstacles in my daily personal life that prevent me from advancing in my writing. There have been many lessons I've learned in the past few years that have helped me take control over my schedule and carve out time not only for writing, but related activities that have propelled my writing to the next level. I've compiled a list of time-saving ideas that can reduce time spent on the mundane activities of everyday life. Hopefully some of these will inspire some changes to help you master your schedule this year and spend more time on what you love. Photo by Samantha Gades on Unsplash Simp

#AuthorToolBoxBlogHop 15 Critical Questions to Ask Your Beta Readers

Happy blog hop day, everyone! I hope that your writing has been both fun and inspired. While I missed last month's hop, I have been in the thick of what will (hopefully) be my final round of revisions before querying my current novel. Hooray! In case you missed my video recapping my first beta reader experience , my novel has undergone a couple of major changes these past few months due to the feedback I received. It was an incredible learning opportunity for me. I truly believe that, thanks to my beta readers, I was able to resolve issues that would almost certainly have come back to bite me during the querying process. Whether I was saved from agent rejections remains to be seen, however, through this process I learned things about my writing and this story specifically, that I would not have otherwise. And for this reason, I highly recommend reaching out to beta readers before considering querying agents. That being said, I wanted to gather my thoughts into a post that co

July #AuthorToolBoxBlogHop: Writing My First Spec Script for Television

Happy blog hop day everyone and thank you so much for stopping by mine. By the time you're reading this, we will be well into the month of July and I will have officially begun my Camp NaNoWriMo project. I'm writing this post at the end of June while preparing my plan of attack over the next 31 days in which I plan to write my first ever spec script for television. If you're not familiar with Camp NaNoWriMo, you can check out this blog post where I go into more detail. In essence, it's a month where writers worldwide dedicate themselves to a particular project of their choosing. But personally, I like to think of it as a giant pause button. NaNoWriMo and Camp NaNoWriMo have become my sole excuse to put down my novel with its seemingly endless revisions and pause for a month to focus on something new. Somehow doing so under the established framework of NaNoWriMo is easier for me than simply picking a random month of my own choosing, which I know I would never do if