Skip to main content

On Musical Inspiration: Great Writing Songs



A lot of writers talk about their favorite writing soundtracks and for good reason. Music stirs up so many emotions that help when you are brainstorming different plot points or character reactions.

Personally, I use a project-by-project method when building a playlist. When I start something new, I'm automatically on the lookout for great songs to spark different emotions that I'll need when writing. I love YouTube because I can make myself an inspiration playlist and just sit back and let the creativity flow.

I thought it might be fun to share some of my all-time favorite writing soundtracks and some that are inspiring my current work.


  • Finding Neverland - Tempo varies, but a lot of great piano work that always tends to sweep me away.
  • Edward Scissorhands - I love the entire soundtrack, but there is one score in particular that pulls at my creative heart strings every time. 
  • One Tree Hill - Whether or not you are a fan of the show, if you are looking for great songs then definitely keep their soundtracks in mind. What I love about tv show soundtracks are the diversity they bring, often showcasing talent you wouldn't have heard otherwise.
  • Vampire Diaries - The song selections on the show are superb and very fitting to the mood they portray on each episode. Right now I find mysel listening to a lot of their songs to get into certain moods for my current project.

That's all I have right now. Does anyone have any recommendations for soundtracks or songs?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#AuthorToolBoxBlogHop 15 Critical Questions to Ask Your Beta Readers

Happy blog hop day, everyone! I hope that your writing has been both fun and inspired. While I missed last month's hop, I have been in the thick of what will (hopefully) be my final round of revisions before querying my current novel. Hooray! In case you missed my video recapping my first beta reader experience , my novel has undergone a couple of major changes these past few months due to the feedback I received. It was an incredible learning opportunity for me. I truly believe that, thanks to my beta readers, I was able to resolve issues that would almost certainly have come back to bite me during the querying process. Whether I was saved from agent rejections remains to be seen, however, through this process I learned things about my writing and this story specifically, that I would not have otherwise. And for this reason, I highly recommend reaching out to beta readers before considering querying agents. That being said, I wanted to gather my thoughts into a post that co

July #AuthorToolBoxBlogHop: Writing My First Spec Script for Television

Happy blog hop day everyone and thank you so much for stopping by mine. By the time you're reading this, we will be well into the month of July and I will have officially begun my Camp NaNoWriMo project. I'm writing this post at the end of June while preparing my plan of attack over the next 31 days in which I plan to write my first ever spec script for television. If you're not familiar with Camp NaNoWriMo, you can check out this blog post where I go into more detail. In essence, it's a month where writers worldwide dedicate themselves to a particular project of their choosing. But personally, I like to think of it as a giant pause button. NaNoWriMo and Camp NaNoWriMo have become my sole excuse to put down my novel with its seemingly endless revisions and pause for a month to focus on something new. Somehow doing so under the established framework of NaNoWriMo is easier for me than simply picking a random month of my own choosing, which I know I would never do if

#Authortoolboxbloghop Create More Time to Write in 2020: 20+ Ideas to Reclaim Your Schedule

The new year is officially here and like many, I have committed myself to several new goals I want to accomplish in my life and writing career. And while I think goal-setting is admirable, setting achievable goals with a specific, direct path to success is even better. The link between time-management and writing might not be an obvious one, however I find that so often it is the obstacles in my daily personal life that prevent me from advancing in my writing. There have been many lessons I've learned in the past few years that have helped me take control over my schedule and carve out time not only for writing, but related activities that have propelled my writing to the next level. I've compiled a list of time-saving ideas that can reduce time spent on the mundane activities of everyday life. Hopefully some of these will inspire some changes to help you master your schedule this year and spend more time on what you love. Photo by Samantha Gades on Unsplash Simp